It’s heartbreaking to see these documentaries that shed light on the sad truths of the various food industries in the world. The effect these mass slaughterings and breeding have on the environment and the sadness behind them. The amount of wildlife that is has seen its decline. The fact that big companies capitalize on “sustainable” fishing/breeding/agriculture.
This documentary from Ali Tabrizi and his team called Seaspiracy uncovers a lot of information about the fishing industry. We hear a lot about how the carbon footprint of fish meat is lower than most other meats, but this documentary talks about the other perspective. From the perspective of the danger that the ocean life is in, and in turn the environment and climate. From the perspective of the cruelty towards wildlife and humans.
Here are some of the shocking facts from the documentary:
- FISHING HAS WIPED OUT 90% OF THE WORLD'S LARGE FISH.
- FISHING IS THE GREATEST THREAT TO MARINE WILDLIFE.
- 300,000 DOLPHINS, WHALES & PORPOISES ARE KILLED BY FISHING OPERATIONS PER YEAR.
- FISHING KILLS 30,000 SHARKS EVERY HOUR.
- LONGLINE BOATS SET ENOUGH FISHING LINES IN ONE DAY TO WRAP THE EARTH 500X.
- 70% OF MACRO PLASTIC AT SEA COMES FROM FISHING GEAR.
- PLASTIC STRAWS ONLY COMPRISE 0.03% OF PLASTIC ENTERING THE OCEAN.
- BOTTOM TRAWLING RELEASES AS MUCH CARBON AS AIR TRAVEL.
- 24,000 FISHERIES WORKERS DIE ON THE JOB PER YEAR.
- $35 BILLION IN SUBSIDIES IS GIVEN TO THE FISHING INDUSTRY EVERY YEAR.
- FOREIGN FISHING IN WEST AFRICA CONTRIBUTED TO THE EBOLA EPIDEMIC.
- WIDESPREAD FORCED LABOUR IN THE SEAFOOD TRADE IS REPORTED IN 47 COUNTRIES.
These facts make me want to eat vegetarian more. I gave it a try in the month of March and I realized I don’t need meat in my diet as long as I’m diligent with the food eat to meet all my nutrition. This April, I dropped the ball on it. I hope to get back to eating as less meat as possible in my diet because as of now, this seems to be the best and most effective way individuals can help the world's resources.